F-1 Visas

F-1 Visas

If you would like to study as a full-time student in the United States, you will need a student visa.  There are two nonimmigrant visa categories for persons wishing to study in the United States.  These visas are commonly known as the F and M visas.

You may enter in the F-1 or M-1 visa category provided you meet the following criteria:

  • You must be enrolled in an "academic" educational program, a language-training program, or a vocational program
  • Your school must be approved by the Student and Exchange Visitors Program, Immigration & Customs Enforcement
  • You must be enrolled as a full-time student at the institution
  • You must be proficient in English or be enrolled in courses leading to English proficiency
  • You must have sufficient funds available for self-support during the entire proposed course of study
  • You must maintain a residence abroad which you have no intention of giving up.

The F-1 Visa (Academic Student) allows you to enter the United States as a full-time student at an accredited college, university, seminary, conservatory, academic high school, elementary school, or other academic institution or in a language training program. You must be enrolled in a program or course of study that culminates in a degree, diploma, or certificate and your school must be authorized by the U.S. government to accept international students.

The M-1 visa (Vocational Student) category includes students in vocational or other nonacademic programs, other than language training.

The Mid Florida Technological Institute is authorized by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to accept and enroll F-1 Visa students.  MFTI is also authorized to accept and enroll international applicants who wish to transfer to MFTI from other U.S. institutions.  All international applicants to the Mid Florida Technological Institute must meet the same admission standards as all other students, as outlined in the MFTI academic catalog.  International applicants are required to submit the following application documentation:

Certified foreign credential evaluation or documentation of prior U.S. based education.

A minimum score on an MFTI approved English language proficiency test is required for all applicants whose native language is not English or who have not graduated from an institution at which English is the language of instruction (This requirement is waived for applicants into MFTI’s English Language Certification program).

Certification of Finances for International Applicants.  Provide a notarized statement of financial support or a certified government sponsor letter indicating that tuition will be paid in advance of each semester and that a sponsor will provide all necessary living expenses for the international applicant. (DHS Form I-134 may be used.)

A photocopy of the student's passport to provide proof of birth date and citizenship (students outside the United States who have not yet acquired a passport will need to submit a copy of their birth certificate).

For all applicants residing in the United States at the time of application: a photocopy of the visa page contained within the student's passport as well as a copy of the student's I-94 arrival departure record (both sides).

For all applicants residing in the United States at time of application in either F, M, or J non-immigrant classification: written confirmation of non-immigrant status at previous school attended before transferring to MFTI.  This can be satisfied with a copy of your I-20.

International applicants should obtain academic advising prior to enrolling to ensure they can retain nonimmigrant status while enrolled at the Mid Florida Technological Institute.

In addition to providing the items listed above, transfer applicants must notify the current institution of their intent to transfer.  MFTI will communicate with the current institution and process the necessary immigration forms to complete the transfer.

All instruction and services are provided in English.